Wednesday, December 3, 2014

The Suicide Squad Has Been Announced


In case you haven't been keeping up, Warner Bros and Marvel have announced a slew of comic book movies for years to come; on of which being DC's "Suicide Squad", and in typical hype buzz fashion they've announced the cast...which brings me to the point of this post, to talk about the casting.
Next to you see him, it'll be Jared Leto wearing the paint job

Right off the bat ( this was not a Batman pun I swear) we see Jared Leto is going to be playing the role of "Joker". I have no issues with Leto, he wasn't on any of my fancasts, but I do have problems with the Joker being any sort of team film. The Joker is that kind of team player that pills out a rocket launcher during online play and murders his entire team just for fun; which is to say having him on your team is begging to be killed in the most horrific of ways. It's possible that he might be the "big bad" of the film but if that's the case you'd send Batman after him not a bunch of villains, especially one that has a romantic history with him. Thing is I don't really know how else they could possibly use him except for as the main villain, it's a disservice to have him be a bit character but if he commands the most screentime then why even have him in an ensemble film to begin with? DC is in a tough spot with this one.

Not really bothered by the race change on this
Here we have the "protagonist" of the team, the antihero Deadshot played by Will Smith which is a fine choice seeing as Will has charm to make you love him and Deadshot is supposed to be the likeable one on the team. I really don't have much to say here, he's a phenomenal actor and can take on any role so I have no worries about if he will do the character justice. I was kind of hoping he'd play an established black character but I'm not to bothered by the changing of Deadshot's race.

This should be the movie costume..just saying
I've only seen Margot Robbie in "The Wolf of Wall St" and to be honest that's all I needed to see; her relationship with Leo in that movie pretty much mirrors that of Harley Quinn and Mr. J (Joker) and she pulled off the " sexy but will kill you" thing very well. I do hope the borrow more from the New 52 Harley and not the old one simply because this newer one has a greater sense of agency and independence and I'd just really rather not see her pining over Joker for an entire film. Also kinda bummed that because Harley is in this film that means she can't be used in Arrow (which is a goddamn awesome show).

He is surprisingly very deadly with boomerangs even though they are dumb
 
Captain Boomerang made his appearance on Arrow last week and was featured in the episode today so he's definitely getting a bit more exposure now. Jai Courtney (the guy who played Bruce Willis son in Good Day to Die Hard) is playing him and he will probably do a serviceable job... I mean you can't really screw up Digger Harkins, he's a guy who kills people with boomerangs and speaks in an Aussie accent. Yeah I've got nothing here.

Wow Rick Flag is in the movie?
I'm actually pretty shocked that Rick Flag is in the movie (if you couldn't tell by my caption) because holy crap that's like an OG member of the Suicide Squad. I am gonna assume they will mix Rick Flag and Rick Flag Jr's characters together so that Deadshot will have a sort of rival on the team ( Flag Jr didn't like working with criminals) but as far as casting Tom Hardy goes...it's weird. It's weird because people will be like "What's Bane doing here?" and also because Rick Flag is super American and a Brit will be playing him...whatever Hardy is a good actor and will do fine I guess.

June Moon/The Enchantress
I have no idea who Cara Delevingne is and I dont even really know who The Enchantress is but she's the magic user and most likely the heaviest hitter on the team. Cara could be a great actress, she could suck tremendously...never seen her work and I have no attachment to the character so I'm good either way.


So there it is, my unimportant thoughts on the casting choices for "Suicide Squad". I really wanna know who they are gonna kill because if no cast member dies in this film then it's gonna be the worst movie ever. Who do you think is gonna bite the bullet come Aug 5 2016? 

Oh one more thing, there are rumors going around at who can play Amanda Waller; there is no need to screen test because only one woman can play the role:


CCH POUNDER OR BUST!!!!!!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment