Wednesday, December 2, 2015

What The Hell?




I am really excited for Captain America:Civil War for a multitude of reasons but one of the biggest ones is that we finally get to see Black Panther debut in his first live action film. When I saw the cover for EW I was really excited, but once the excitement wore off I and I started to actually look at the cover, a  few things didn't sit right with me.

For starters, the image on the cover and the words on the cover give me contradictory feelings because on the one end you can clearly see his name (not Stark or Cap) in big bold yellow lettering, emphasizing his importance in the story, and yet in his picture he is in the background behind Cap and Stark. Now I know this is Cap's movie but if that were the case why doesn't Cap get the most cover space? He and Stark get equal amount of spacing while Black Panther is regulated in the back, having his midsection completely covered. Ok but that's not so gigantic an issue that I'd call for #ChangetheCover but then something else caught my eye: they have him saying meow. You are trying to the first black superhero in comics, and the first black superhero that will get his own Marvel film, and you decide to give him a stupid meow? Why isn't Cap saying "Murrica" or Stark just being a dick? They get no sort of ridiculous caption that lessens their importance, that honor seems to reserved for the dude in the back, the same dude that the cover seems to try to highlight as super mega important. The only way I can see this being even more of a faux pas is if they tried to make some sort of joke about his characterization.

Seriously? "Has claws that a real housewife would envy". Why would you even need to make that comparison? Like seriously that's not even funny or clever, it makes no sense. You know what, maybe that's just what they do for comic book characters because ya know its a comic book and not that serious. Lets see how they did Iron Man

Oh well they did say they'd suit up, but that actually relates to the fact that he wears a suit of Iron. Ok how about Captain America?

Ok they actually have it just all up on his face and no weird dialogue. I know, how about Age of Ultron? I mean that had a ton of people in it so I'm sure they had them-

Ok what the hell Entertainment Weekly? You don't add anything stupid to any other Marvel movie cover but suddenly when its Black Panther you feel the need to make jokes at his expense? This is a character that represents so much, possibly more than Captain America, and yet you seem to be extremely flippant to his importance.I'm not even going to mention the fact that he's the only one that is totally covered up because I dont know if he was available for the shoot or whatever but I really question that decision to run with this cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment