Tuesday, August 5, 2014

The Nerd Reviews: Guardians of the Galaxy


The Marvel Cinematic Universe ( MCU for all you cool-ish kids) is pretty awesome; you have super soldiers, gods, rampaging rage monsters, billionaire playboys, spies and super cool tech but you never really got a sense of just how big that universe was; that was until "Guardians of the Galaxy" came out. Coming off a majorly successful Captain America sequel, Marvel tackles a whole new project with Guardians, but does the movie fly into space or is it the equivalent of Green Lantern?

"Guardians of the Galaxy" is not like most Marvel films, in fact there were moments where I had forgot that Marvel even made the film and I mean that in the best way possible. It feels more like a homage/spoof of the superhero/adventure genre yet does it in a way that it doesn't come off as condescending or cynical but genuine and highly enjoyable. The film stars Chris Pratt as Peter Jason Quill a.k.a Star-Lord and his motley crew ; a trained assassin named Gamora (Zoe Saldanna), a man with a singular purpose called Drax the
There is a lot of humor in Guardians of the Galaxy
Destroy ( Dave Bautista) and a mouthy raccoon named Rocket Raccoon(Bradley Cooper) that hangs out with a giant tree creature called Groot ( Vin Diesel), who have to stop the evil Ronan the Accuser ( Lee Pace) from destroying the planet Xander and the galaxy. As far as plot goes it's pretty standard but the real draw here are the interactions between the main cast, you really feel like the chemistry between the actors and that helps lend credibility to their respective roles and also makes you actually care what happens to them; there are a few moments in particular that may or may not have had me in my feels. Ignoring my possible crying in the movie theaters, this movie had me feeling another emotion; happiness in the form of laughter. I normally find myself laughing at a few visual gags here and there in a Marvel film but Guardians has genuine humorous moments that are timed so perfectly( unlike in Iron Man 3) you'd think this was a comedy.
I don't care if this is all CG it's dope
It seems as if each Marvel film gets better and better with it's use of CGI and that makes for some fantastic visuals ( like the city of Xander) and gives each planet/ location it's own flair that makes them seem fantastical and real at the same time. The visuals also allow for some awesome space action scenes that are visceral and engaging, definitely giving you that Star Wars vibe ( that original trilogy of course). I also kind of got a bit of a western vibe with all of the gunfights ( laser fights) in the movie but they were cool and I didn't mind them at all.

Look, this review doesn't even need to be long but I wanted to look all professional but it's a freaking blogger so who cares? Watch this film. This is a film that you will enjoy even if you are dead inside because its has something for everyone and you don't need to know anything about anything to enjoy this film thanks to the direction of James Gunn. He was able to keep the pacing perfect, allowing for humor and fun but also character insight and heartwarming moments without sacrificing plot. I mean yeah there are a few gripes but these are just my own personal ones ( like how Ronan didn't really feel like a threat and the role of the Collector) but they do not take away from the film at all. It's a fun film that ever forget that and that's probably the best thing about this film, it never tries to be more than what it is and I for one love it because I am tired of superhero films having social commentary in them. Thank you Guardians for giving me an enjoyable summer film that stands alone and fits perfectly into the MCU without needing to make a reference to the Avengers/ Iron Man every 3 seconds.

Overall Score: 9.4/10

1 comment:

  1. I FREAK'N LOVE THIS MOVIE! I was signing along with it when I was not laughing. And yes I did cry. I also agree that it felt like star wars OT to me also. I can't wait for this to come out on DVD

    ReplyDelete