Tuesday, April 1, 2014

5 Characters I Want To See In Movies: Hero Edition


It's no secret that comic book movies are immensely popular in Hollywood right now and for good reason too; with its rich history and likable characters, there is all the trappings of a compelling story just waiting to be told. In comics, there are characters who are superstars that are known all over the world, like Spider-Man and Batman, and movie makers are more than thrilled to tell their stories but there are other characters whom I feel are deserving of being brought to the big screen.





The Wakandan King















1. The Black Panther (no relation to the political group)- For those of you who know me you know that I have been clamoring for this to happen for quite some time now. If you don't know who he is, Black Panther is the leader of the African nation of Wakanda and a genius ( one of the 8 smartest people in the Marvel Universe) who fights crime with the likes of The Avengers. Introducing him into the movie universe would bring some much needed diversity to not only the Marvel cinematic universe but to the genre as a whole, plus he's like a cross between Batman, Captain America and Tony Stark...but better than them.


2. Ms Marvel/Captain Marvel- With the announcement of Wonder Woman it seems as if Hollywood is finally starting to take superheroines seriously and I for one think it's about damn time. Marvel has had some success with introducing the Black Widow in Iron Man 2/Avengers so you'd think that they'd give her a full on solo film but I for one think they need to introduce a brand new character; a heavy hitter that can compete with the likes of Thor and Iron Man, someone like Carol Danvers aka Ms Marvel. Carol has all the requirements to transition perfectly from the pages to the big screen and would be an excellent opportunity to show that Marvel is more than a one trick pony when it comes to portraying female heroes.

3. Nightwing-  Dick Grayson. The Boy Wonder. The other half of the Dynamic Duo. Nightwing deserves to be in the films simply due to the fact that he started off wearing see through tights and somehow became one of the most badass heroes in the DC Universe. Grayson is known as the first Robin and there isn't much story to tell from that perspective, but him becoming Nightwing allows for a fresh new twist on the Batman/Robin dynamic, imagine the serious, brooding Batman fighting a group of thugs in Suicide Slums when suddenly Nightwing drops in, armed with quips and beats them. The clashing of styles and the nature of their relationship would make for a hell of a buddy movie.
Nightwing as he appears in the New 52
NOT BATGIRL


4. Batgirl- Keeping in line with the Bat Family, I think...no...I know that Barbara deserves a chance to shine in the DC cinematic universe. She has earned the right to wear the bat crest and is such an interesting character that I believe would come across great if given the proper care she deserves, unlike she did in that god awful portrayal of her in the "Batman and Robin" film. I mean for starters she wasn't even Barbara Gordon but Barbara Wilson, who was the niece of Alfred which is just an unnecessary change of origin that runs her ties to Gotham and Grayson and...I just went off on a tangent there and I apologize...so yeah I want her in a film but either as a support in the Batman franchise or ( and this is a pipe dream I know) in a Birds of Prey film.





5. Invincible- I know a lot of people have no idea who he is ( it's a comic from Robert Kirkman under the Image imprint) and that is exactly why I think he should be in a film. His lack of notoriety gives him something other superhero films don't have; mystery. Marvel announced Guardians of Galaxy and everyone collectively scratched their heads until they saw the trailer, now you see a massive spike in interest for the Guardians and I'm thinking the same thing would happen here. Invincible is about a boy named Mark Grayson who is the son of the most powerful hero on Earth and how he must deal with his newfound abilities and protect the Earth from all sorts of baddies. Invincible is a cross between Superman and Spider-Man and it is such a winning combination that I just know it would translate well into film and find an audience.

I know that it isn't easy to just make a film ( I still haven't gotten my Spawn reboot) but that doesn't mean I can't be selfish and want Hollywood to bend to my will. I deserve these films because dammit I want them and you should too. I have nothing clever or witty to add so I'll just stop here. Why you may ask? Because it's my blog and I can do whatever I want, like not follow established grammatical rules of writing.



No comments:

Post a Comment